Department of Veterans Affairs

Disability Compensation Award Attachment


When is your check delivered?

A check covering the initial amount due under this award will be mailed within 15 days. Thereafter, checks will be delivered at the beginning of each month for the prior month.


How can you receive hospitalization and outpatient treatment?


Veterans who have one or more service-connected disabilities as determined by the Veterans Benefits Administration are eligible for medical care through the VA health care system. If you are interested in obtaining VA medical care, you may contact your nearest VA health care facility or the VA Enrollment Service Center at 1-877-222-8387.


How can you receive dental treatment?


If you are evaluated as 100% disabled for service-connected disabilities or as 100% disabled because of Individual Unemployability (IU), you may be eligible for VA dental treatment. For additional information, contact your nearest VA Medical Center or Outpatient Clinic.


How can you receive additional compensation for dependents?


Veterans having a 30% or more service-connected condition may be entitled to additional compensation for a spouse, dependent parents, or unmarried children under 18 (or under 23 if attending an approved school) or when prior to age 18 the child has become permanently incapable of self-support because of mental or physical defect. The additional benefit for a spouse is payable in a higher amount upon receipt of evidence establishing that the spouse is a patient in a nursing home or so disabled as to require the aid and attendance of another person.


How can you receive increased benefits based on Individual Unemployability?


If your service-connected disabilities are seriously disabling and you are unable to secure and hold steady work/employment because of your disabilities, you may apply to receive total disability. To apply for this benefit, you should contact the nearest VA office and complete Form 21-8940, “Veteran’s Application for Increased Compensation Based on Unemployability.”


How can you receive a clothing allowance?


You may be eligible if, because of a service-connected disability, you wear or use a prosthetic device or orthopedic appliance which tend to wear our or tear clothing. You may also be eligible if a doctor has prescribed medication for a service-connected skin condition, and the medication causes irreparable damage to your outer garments. To apply for this benefit, contact the Prosthetic and Sensory Aids Service at your nearest VA Medical Center or Outpatient Clinic.


How can you receive educational benefits?


A monthly educational assistance allowance is payable to Veterans who qualify for one of VA’s educational assistance programs. Each program has unique eligibility criteria specified by law, and only one program can be used at any given time. If you need help with your educational benefits, you can call toll-free by dialing 1-888-442-4551 or visit the VA national education website at: www.gibill.va.gov


How can you receive Government Life Insurance?


If you receive a rating for a new service-connected disability (even 0%), you may be eligible for government life insurance if you are in good health (except for the service-connected conditions) and apply within two years of this notification of your new disability rating. Call our toll-free number 1-800-669-8477 or visit our website www.insurance.va.gov for further information about Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance.


Are your benefits exempt from claims or creditors?


Compensation payments are exempt from claims of creditors. With certain exceptions the payments are not assignable and are not subject to attachment, levy, or seizure except as to claims of the United Stated.